Written by Marco Carvajal
The legendary M8 has been reborn as the 2020 BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. Performance and Elegance Merged into a Luxury BMW Coupe, priced at $109K, not a cheap ticket, but totally worth it if you can afford it.
The M850i brings to your home the highest level of refinement and power. Providing the best impression around you when riding the BMW M850i.
BMW M models are superior and track-ready cars. The M series started on the track in 1972 as a division for BMW’s racing teams, eventually giving birth to one of the world’s most acclaimed high-performance cars, like the M1 E30 M3, and many other new M models like the new 2020 M850i performance-ready.
M series includes power, performance, and maneuverability, M series BMW keeps pushing the limits. M vehicles ready to increase your adrenaline with high-performance capability. M cars include responsive handling to deliver track-level performance with 50/50 weight distribution, newly developed M xDrive, and M-engineered suspensions and differentials. M series cars elevate BMW’s performance handling to the highest degree.
One of the impressive features of this driving machine is the way BMW’s smart AWD works with the M xDrive intelligent rear-biased all-wheel-drive system, making the most use of the new M8’s power and torque to increase performance. With this BMW’s smart system, the engine’s torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels via the transfer case’s electronically-controlled multi-plate clutch before the Active M differential splits the power between the two rear wheels as needed.
The rear-biased system sends torque to the front wheels when the rear wheels reach the limit of their traction, producing a dual system of traction, rear-wheel driving when AWD is not necessary, but if the car needs more torque and power then AWD starts to work automatically as needed on all the wheels. Drivers of the M850i xDrive have the control to deactivate 4WD and drive the M850i on 2WD mode, producing rear-wheel-drive only if desired.
2020 850i Trim Models and Prices
The 850i for the year 2020 is available in 3 main trim models, with a base price range from 85K up to $109,000
- 840i Gran Coupe – Rear-wheel Drive. Starting at $84,900
- 840i xDrive Gran Coupe – All-Wheel Drive. Starting at $87,800
- M850i xDrive Gran Coupe – All-Wheel Drive. Starting at $108,900
The top model M850i I am test driving is just perfect. It has anything a very demanding drive can wish, from performance to convenience and luxury. Just Drive it and you will feel the pleasure of having this smart machine taking you everywhere.
With a base price of $108,900 the M850i has a lot of options and packages to give you more.
The $4,100 M Carbon Exterior Color Package is totally worth it. The gray carbon mate color enhances the M850i into the next level of sophistication.
The M850i I am driving costs $121,695 MSRP, it is fully loaded, adding Driving Assitance Package with features like parking assistance plus, active blind-spot detection, lane departing warning and more, all for $1,100; Drivers Assistance Pro Pkg for $1,700 that includes extended traffic jam assistant and active driving assistance pro; Comfort Seating Package for $850 that gives you front and rear heated seats; $650 Glass controls; Premium Audio Bowers & Wilkins sound system for $3,400; and M Carbon Exterior Package for an additional $4,100.
This M850i priced at $121K is something from another world. This BMW feels like a car from the future.
2020 BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe Highlights:
- 20 MPG Average
- 17 MPG City
- 25 MPG Highway
- 4.4-liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 523-hp engine. Combines two turbochargers with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection
- 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch Control
- Air Curtains and Air Breather system
- Sport exhaust system
- Active kidney grille
- Electronically controlled engine cooling (map cooling)
- Brake Energy Regeneration
- Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT modes
- 20″ M V-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 728M with performance run-flat tires
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features; with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- Double-wishbone multi-link aluminum front suspension
- 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with anti-lock braking system (ABS), composite front rotors and Dynamic Brake Control (DBC), brake-pad wear indicators and Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
- 4-passenger, 4-door coupe
- Paint, accents, and lights
- Aerodynamic kit
- Power-folding, heated side mirrors
- M Rear spoiler
- Extended Merino Leather upholstery
- Stainless Steel Fabric interior trim
- Enhanced smartphone connectivity with additional microphone, USB connections, and the ability for simultaneous device pairing
- WiFi Hotspot including 3 GB/3-month trial
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility
- Standard Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with equalizer and powerful 464-watt amplifier; the 16-speaker system includes 9 tweeters, 5 midrange speakers and 2 bass speakers
- SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 1-year All Access subscription
- Engine Start/Stop button
- Remote Engine Start
- Ventilated front seats
- 16-way power Multi-function front seats including standard 14-way power sport seat functions, plus power adjustment for width adjustment, plus a 2-way manual lateral adjustment for Comfort headrest and thigh support; driver and front passenger seat memory
- Universal garage-door opener
- 2x USB ports; front with 1.5 A charging, console with 3 A charging
- Programmable LED Daytime Running Lights
- Driver’s and passenger’s front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger-seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
- Active Guard with Frontal Collision Warning, Automatic City Collision Mitigation and Braking including Daytime Pedestrian Detection
- Impact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights
- BMW’s Active Protection System detects imminent accidents, then prepares by automatically pretensioning safety belts, closing windows and moonroof, and activating post-crash braking; includes Fatigue and Focus Alert feature
- BMW Assist eCall includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification
The 2020 BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe includes a good bumper to bumper warranty.
Compared to other more aggressive brands the warranty is not as generous, as it only covers the M850i during 4 years and 50,000 miles, but it is standard on most European cars.
Unlike most manufacturers, BMW covers the powertrain (engine, transmission, drive axle, seals, gasket, and related parts) in this same warranty instead of a separate powertrain warranty.