Written by Marco Carvajal
2020 Fiat 124 Spider
I am test driving the 2020 Fiat 124 Spider in warm central Florida, the 124 Spider is a small roadster convertible, powerful, aggressive, and stylish, with space for 2 passengers.
The Fiat 124 2020 year version has a very attractive design, it turns heads, everyone pays attention to the curvy sporty silhouette that can appeal even to the most demanding car buyers. It is a very small car. Just enough space for the driver and one more passenger on board, it is ideal to be used as a second car, since the ticket price is not so high only starting around $25K, it is very affordable as a second car.
The small sports car segment includes a few players besides the Spider. The Fiat Spider 124 looks very similar to its competitor the 2020 MX-5 Miata Club, you can even think they are the same car if you see them from far away on a fast highway. There are other competitors for this compact sports car but after all, like it or not, Fiat is unique, its Italian car architecture and vintage design are something that you can get only when buying a Fiat
Fiat sales are nos as successful as the iconic Mazda Miata, in the United States. Mazda sells an average of 1000 Miatas per month, and Fiat does not even reach 300 yet, but the challenging future can change as Fiat enters deeply into the US car market. Other Italian brands part of the Fiat Chrisley Automotobiles Group havr been doing better in the US market, for example, Alfa Romeo.
FIAT is not a new automobile brand, it has 120 years of history producing cars in Italy. Part of the appeal of FIat is its sophisticated Italian design and fun-to-drive style available on every FIAT.
For those who want to feel like having a piece of Italy here in the United States, drive a Fiat Spider 124, listen to some Italian music and enjoy some nice pasta carbonara! you will feel almost in Rome!
The 124 Spider is produced by Mazda in Japan, using the same platform as the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5. Fiat uses its own mechanical turbo-charged engines and gearboxes.
The design of the 2020 Fiat 125 Spider is inspired by the original classic 1966-1982 Fiat 124 Sport Spider.
In memory of the original 124 Spider, more than 50 years after its introduction, the Fiat 124 Spider is the ultimate Italian roadster experiencing driving excitement, technology, and safety combined with iconic design.
- Standard 2-Seat Roadster segment
- Best-in-class manual transmission highway fuel economy of 35 miles per gallon (mpg)
- Best-in-class highway fuel economy of 36 mpg when equipped with the automatic transmission
- 160 hp 1.4L MultiAir Turbo I-4 engine
- Excellent brake and steering feel
- Keyless Enter ‘n Go
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Bose premium nine-speaker audio system and FIAT Connect 7.0 with 7-inch touch screen display and SIRIUS XM ready
- Heated leather-trimmed and microfiber sport seats
- 17-inch Black Diamond aluminum wheels with black-painted pockets
- Advanced GPS Navigation System (Lusso and Abarth models)
- Parksense rear park assist system
- Steel safety frame and 4 airbags
The 124 Spider is available in three trim levels: Classica, Lusso or, for performance enthusiasts, Abarth
Trims and Pricing for 2020 Fiat 124 Spider
$25,390 Starting MSRP
- 1.4L Multi Air Turbo Engine Delivers 160 HP and 184 LB-FT of Torque
- 16-Inch Aluminum Wheels and 195/50VR16 Three Season Performance Tires
- Six-Speed Manual Transmission with Short-Throw Shifter
- Park View Rear Back Up Camera
- FIAT Connect 7.0 with 7-Inch Full-Color Touch screen, AM/FM Radio, Four Speakers, an SD Card Reader and a Command Dial
$26,385 Starting MSRP
- Gloss Black Exterior Accents (Mirror Caps, A-Pillar, and Roll Bar Covers)
- Black Interior Accents with Red Accent Stitching
- Sporty Leather and Microfiber Seats
- 17-Inch Aluminum Wheels with Painted Black Pockets
- Sirius XM Satellite Radio
$28,145 Starting MSRP
- 17-Inch Premium Aluminum Wheels and 205/45VR17 Three-Season Performance Tires
- Dual Chrome Finish Exhaust Tips
- Fog Lamps and Automatic Headlamps
- Sirius XM with One Year of Service Included
$29,390 Starting MSRP
- 1.4L MultiAir Turbo Engine with Six-Speed Manual Transmission Delivers 164 HP and 184 LB-FT of Torque
- Available Six-Speed Automatic Transmission with Paddle Shifters
- 17-Inch Aluminum Wheels Painted Gun Metallic
Engine and Performance
The roadster comes standard with the proven 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo four-cylinder engine, thia engine’s first application in a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Performance is very good and acceptable for its segment with excellent brake and steering feel. Fiat is the only brand in the industry to offer standard turbo powertrains that deliver at least 30 mpg across its entire product lineup. Steering is light and responsive with the use of an electric power-assist (dual pinion) system.
Fiat 124 Spider, designed at Centro Stile in Turin, Italy keeping details of the original Spider. Many consider the Spider to be Fiat’s most beautiful cars ever.
The engine delivers best-in-class 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque on Classica and Lusso, 164 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque on Abarth, and is available with a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic transmission.
The interior of the 124 Spider has a classically beautiful bodyside, well-balanced proportions, and a sporty cockpit to make you feel you are racing on the track.
The interior feels a little bit premium even if you pay a lower price to buy this Fiat. Premium cloth, leather trim, leather trim with a microfiber insert, and Recaro leather-trim and Alcantara suede. Heated seats are included on Lusso and Abarth models.
The 124 Spider includes a few interesting safety features. It is not fully loaded of safety features, but let’s remember the great value price and after all…welcome to Italy! Beautiful design, big smiles, but in general average italians tend to save.
- The suspension uses a double-wishbone layout in front and a multi-link in the rear, specifically tuned for greater stability while braking and turning.
- ESC (Electronic Stability Controller) when a vehicle is starting to oversteer or understeer and works to correct the vehicle’s course by automatically adjusting the throttle and applying the brakes to individual wheels.
- When the vehicle is shifted into reverse, the sensors on the available ParkSense Rear Park Assist System detect objects in the rear back-up pathway. Also standard on all models is a rear Park View camera.
- The steel safety frame includes crumple zones designed to help absorb energy in the event of a collision and redirect it away from occupants. The occupant protection system includes four airbags.
The 123 Spider is totally worth it of a test drive…careful…you might fall in love!
The post 2020 Fiat 124 Spider Italian Roadster appeared first on AutomotorPro.com.