Source: AutomotorPro.com – 2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium
2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium
For the first time, the new Toyota’s Coupe High-Rider Crossover
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Toyota
In Florida test driving the new Toyota’s C-HR (Coupe High-Rider) is very enjoyable. The all new C-HR looks like a small SUV or a CUV but it is different, it is a new generation type of car, it is a high and Spacious Coupe car. The C-HR offers a very modern unique styling, spacious interior, good operation and a good list of standard features.
The 2018 Toyota C-HR is the first attempt from Toyota to enter the segment of super-compact-crossovers. The 2018 C-HR is available in 2 different models, the XLE, and the XLE Premium the one I am test driving.
The C-HR XLE has a starting price of only $22,500….it is a very low and attractive price for a nice compact crossover.
“The all-new C-HR is truly unlike any vehicle Toyota has ever launched,” said Ed Laukes, group vice president of marketing, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
2018 Toyota C-HR XLE / XLE Premium
Front-Wheel Drive (FWD)
Continuously Variable Transmission with intelligence and Shift Mode (CVTi-S)
2.0-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Valvematic
144 hp @ 6100 rpm
139 lb.-ft. @ 3900 rpm
Fuel economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
27 City / 31 HWY
Toyota C-HR a Coupe High-Rider
The all new C-HR looks like a small SUV or a CUV but it is different, it is a new generation type of car, it is a high and Spacious Coupe car. The C-HR offers a very modern unique styling, spacious interior, good operation and a good list of standard features. The C-HR was originally developed for the discontinued brand Scion, own by Toyota.
The C-HR 2018 is available in 2 different trims, the XLE and the XLE Premium, each model is equipped with several standard premium features like 18-inch alloy wheels, dual-zone climate control, supportive bucket seating, 7-inch audio display, automatic headlights, cruise control, and premium safety features like Toyota Safety Sense (TSS-P).
For a light compact car, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder is more than enough, producing 144 horsepower and 140 pound-feet of torque. This 2.0 Litter engine powers front wheels via continuously variable transmission (CVT). Powered by Toyota’s latest generation mechanical features, like Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Valvematic, which help enhance fuel economy and smooth operation for this new Coupe High-Rider
If we compare the C-HR with other similar cars from Toyota, the 2018 Toyota C-HR is smaller and more affordable than the RAV4. In terms of design I enjoy much more the cool trendy design of the C-HR when compared to the RAV4.
If we balance value for the money, it is totally worth it to buy the XLE Premium instead of the XLE base model, for an additional $2,000 your Premium C-HR will include many cool functions like Color-keyed outside front and passenger door handles with touch-sensor lock/unlock, fog lights, heated front seats, Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Some features that could be added in future versions are a navigation system, all-wheel drive version, and infotainment system to support “CarPlay” or “Android Auto”.
Pricing & Versions
The price for the 2018 Toyota C-HR XLE and the XLE Premium is very competitive compared to other similar competitor cars in the same segment, especially when considering that both the XLE base and premium models include several features that normally will cost additional thousands of dollars to add to the price.
|2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium||Starting at $24,350|
|2018 Toyota C-HR XLE||Starting at $22,500|
The “R-Code” option gives a beautiful retro look to the C-HR, it includes one color for the body with a white roof and outside mirrors. It looks great and unique.
This completely new car has a very futuristic design but at the same time it has some parts of the design that resemble retro 50’s cars.
The C-HR was designed under Toyota’s new Distinctive Diamond theme. The squinting lights, overhanging the hood of the roof and protruding taillights are part of Toyota’s designers efforts to create this Diamond style. The look of the CHR is very flexible with several colors and choices.
Features that I like to add in my wishlist for this new baby are navigation system, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and other applications not available on the CHR yet.
- Vortex-styled 18-in. Sport alloy wheels with P225/50R18 tires
- Color-keyed rear spoiler with unique cantilevered design
- Unique cluster LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature
- Color-keyed outside door handles with hidden-type-design rear door handles
- Color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Black front lower grille insert
XLE Premium – Exterior Features
- Integrated fog lights
- Color-keyed outside front and passenger door handles with touch-sensor lock/unlock feature
- Outside hatchback door handle with touch-sensor lock/unlock feature
- Color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal and blind spot warning indicators, 2 puddle lights with “Toyota C-HR” projection, and auto-folding feature
Styling the interior of the 2018 Toyota C-HR XLE is more restrained than the exterior, draws attention to a diamond line on the dashboard, doors and ceiling, which re-echo the exterior. The speedometer and tachometer are separated by a small color information screen, and the 7.0-inch touch-screen display of the infotainment system hover over the climate control elements. Finished with fabric, the mechanical front seats offer good support and comfort, allowing you to find a comfortable position. Behind them, there is enough personal space. However, the wide rear pillars of the roof can interfere to rear passengers.
- 4.2-in. TFT Multi-Information Display (MID)
- 7-in. touch-screen Display Audio
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel and shift lever with satin-plated shift knob
- Sport fabric-trimmed front bucket seats; 6-way adjustable driver’s seat with sport bolsters; 6-way adjustable front passenger seat
with sport bolsters
- Dual zone automatic climate control system
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera display
- Remote keyless entry system
- Dual sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
XLE Premium – Interior Features
- Sport fabric-trimmed heated front bucket seats; 8-way adjustable driver’s seat with sport bolsters and power lumbar support;
6-way adjustable front passenger seat with sport bolsters
- Smart Key System on front doors with Push Button Start, remote keyless entry system with lock, unlock, panic functions
and remote illuminated entry
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
XLE Premium Version:
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
The C-HR is a new generation vehicle, it is a high and Spacious Coupe car. Toyota created their first crossover Coupe High-Rider with almost anything you could add in your holiday wish list standard included in the price of their 2 models, C-HR XLE and C-HR XLE Premium, except for features like all-wheel drive and infotainment system for “CarPlay” or “Android Auto” and a navigation system, but most of the rest of important features come standard in the C-HR what can produce big savings for the buyer of this car. In terms of performance, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder is more than enough, producing 144 horsepower and 140 pound-feet of torque.
The all new C-HR is priced to sell, starting with a low cost around $22,000, this is a great buy. In addition to the low price 29 MPG, low maintenance cost typical of Toyota cars and a beautiful trendy design, can make the C-HR a dream come true for those looking for a new car.
I really enjoy the cool trendy design of the C-HR, especially the R-Code option to have a white roof and another color for the body.
There is a long path for this new Toyota’s baby, the C-HR is just giving its first firm steps into the car market, but it looks like a winner, ready to fight and probably win against many other compact crossovers.
Source: AutomotorPro.com – 2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium